By the time Jen was about two, and her little sister came along, I had read about fluorosis -- a discoloration in the tooth enamel -- caused by fluoride. I remember noticing what appeared to be very slight signs of fluorosis on Jen's baby teeth; so I discontinued the use of vitamins with fluoride. As I continued my holistic health journey, I learned that there were other negative effects of ingested fluoride. It wasn't long before I switched to toothpastes that do not contain fluoride and artificial sweeteners as most conventional toothpastes do.
I think it's safe to say that most people think of fluoride as a good way to prevent cavities; and they don't know that fluoride is a highly toxic compound, a major industrial air pollutant, a key ingredient in some pesticides and fumigants, the cause of fluorosis -- a tooth defect that currently affects over 40% of American teenagers -- and the cause of a bone disease that impacts millions of people throughout the world.
The Fluoride Action Network (FAN) was founded in 2000 to help create awareness of the toxicity of fluoride. Scroll down for a list, and watch the video below to learn 10 important facts about fluoride that everyone should know.
- Most developed countries DO NOT fluoridate their water.
- Fluoridated countries DO NOT have less tooth decay than non-fluoridated countries.
- Fluoride affects many tissues in the body besides the teeth.
- Fluoridation is not a "natural" process.
- 40% of American teens show VISIBLE SIGNS of fluoride over-exposure.
- FOR INFANTS, fluoridated water provides no benefits, ONLY RISKS.
- Fluoride supplements have NEVER BEEN APPROVED by the FDA.
- Fluoride is the ONLY MEDICINE added to public water.
- Swallowing fluoride provides little benefit to teeth.
- DISADVANTAGED COMMUNITIES are the most disadvantaged by fluoride.